Tomed SomnoGuard SP Soft
Mandibular Advancement Devices
The SomnoGuard SP Soft mandibular advancement device (MAD) is a two-part adjustable appliance with improved comfort and greater durability.
The latest innovation from Tomed. The new SomnoGuard SP Soft mandibular advancement device (MAD) is a two-part adjustable appliance with improved comfort and greater durability.
Two-part incrementally adjustable mandibular advancement device
Each of the two identical hard polycarbonate trays is filled with a soft copolymer which, when heated, takes perfect impressions of the teeth for a secure and comfortable fit. The connecting mechanism is on the cheek side of the device rather than the tongue side so the design provides unrestricted space for the tongue. From a choice of six different lengths, a pair of equal length connectors are fitted, one either side of the device, to couple the two parts together to a maximum advancement of 10mm.
SomnoGuard SP Soft can be worn by patients with retrognathia (a receeding lower jaw / weak chin).
Specific features :
- Moulded easily at home in about 10 minutes one tray at a time.
- Can be moulded over and over again.
- Comfortable and small.
- Incremental advancement of the lower jaw up to 10mm.
- Impression material in the channels grips the teeth firmly.
- Excellent retention in the mouth during sleep.
- Suitable if you have a few missing teeth.
- Very low bite opening, i.e., the distance between the upper and lower incisors is only about 2 or 3mm.
- 2-piece design allows side-to-side movement of the jaw.
- Mouth breathing possible - useful if you have a cold.
- No metals used.
- Spare set of connectors included.
- Lightweight and durable construction.
None of the SomnoGuard products contain phthalates.
Please note: Although this oral appliance is manufactured in two versions: SomnoGuard SP Soft and SomnoGuard SP Hard, we are only offering the SP Soft to the general public. The SP Hard version is rather difficult to mould and only a dentist or doctor should carry out the fitting following appropriate training.
The lining of the SomnoGuard SP Soft is made from a transparent copolymer - the same lining is used in the Tomed SomnoGuard AP. The impression material provides a firm grip on the teeth after moulding and is more comfortable than the SomnoGuard SP Hard.
Having used the SomnoGuard 3 (£39.99) quite successfully for a few years I thought I'd give the SomnoGuard SP Soft mandibular a go. Yes it's more expensive, more difficult to fit (it took me 3 attempts) and awkward to fit the connecting strips, but I found the end result much better. I now often wake up with the guard still in place, when previously I would remove it in my sleep in the early hours. It's more comfortable and seems to work better.