CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Uncomfortable and Painful masks

Share your experiences with CPAP, request help, find out the latest developments ....
Dodgenmaff
Private Snorer

Uncomfortable and Painful masks

Post by Dodgenmaff » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:17 pm

Hi
I was wondering if anybody was having problems with their machines as much as I do? I'm on my second Resimed machine and my fourth different mask. I'm now using a machine with a humidifier, which certainly helped with the mouth/nose dryness.
I really don't like to have anything on my face when I'm trying to sleep and even struggled with the sleep monitor before I received a mask/machine. The original masks were constantly leaking due to a fractured nose in my youth causing a slight dent in the side of my nose. I have been using a mask for my mouth and this also sits under my nose for 3 months, but I've never been comfortable with it and have recently started to resent wearing it causing a certain amount of upset. The maximum I had been able to wear this mask had got down to around 2 hours a night before I could no longer bear it.
I was given pillows this week to try and although I did manage just over 3 hours on them the first night, it was so very uncomfortable that when I went to put it on again, I had to take it off again almost immediately. I tried my older mask but have found myself getting extremely anxious and I now cannot wear the mask at all. Does anybody have any ideas how I can overcome this, I'm at my wits end
Thank you

Gnash
Private Snorer

Re: Uncomfortable and Painful masks

Post by Gnash » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:51 am

Sorry you are finding your therapy so difficult.

I've been told and read on-line so many times that the treatment works and you must persevere! Easier said than done!

It sounds like you've tried a variety of masks and pillows but are finding the congestion and feeling of claustrophobia overwhelming.

Have you seen the ResMed AirTouch F20 masks with memory foam cushioning? It might be worth a look.

Could you use a nasal decongestant before going to sleep? I don't get congestion but do suffer with the dryness and sore lips. I apply a moisturiser and lip balm about 30 - 45 minutes before I go to sleep and that is helping a lot. My machine also has a humidifier.

Would you consider some form of relaxation therapy before going to bed? Getting in the right frame of mind may help you tolerate the mask and aid sleep.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Uncomfortable and Painful masks

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:29 pm

Nasal pillows take a bit of getting used to. They can annoy the lining of the nose for the first few weeks, when I started they were very painful, but they have improved a lot since. There are Gel Pillows that for some work well. Honestly, once your nose gets used to NAsal Pillows it will be very easy going, DO NOT tighten them to much, just tighten them just enough so that you think they will not leak, then start the machine, if they leak, just nip them up slightly until they stop leaking, If you have three sizes with your pillows, START with the biggest size you have. They should just sit on your nostrils, not go inside, just the tips of them.
ResMed ones are quite good, I use the soft ones, can't remember the model, they are like the ones mentioned above, but have a silicone zippier adjustment. If your nose got battered out of shape you can if careful twist the headgear round to compensate for this.
If you find your mouth opens you can get good chin straps from china for a few quid.
See this post: viewtopic.php?f=4&p=69500#p69500
If you need any advice please ask, we are here to help and most of us have all gone through difficulties in getting used to CPAP.

By the way, CPAP/APAP machines are a lot quieter these day than they were 10 years ago, they used to be quite noisy.
I met a guy that had one that looked like a VAX wet and dry vacuum cleaned and sounded like on. He slept with this noise every night!!!
I don't think I could have, so I am glad I came along when I did and the machines were half that noise, but still very noisy!
The new machine I have, I have to check

If you need any advice, please ask, no question is a silly one. it is running sometimes, even the other half has to give me a nudge to check it is still working and I am still alive!

We all have to learn.
S2S - Sleep2Snore